Saturday 25 November 2017

10 miles on Ilkey Moor Bar t'at

So I met Sarah Smith (fellow Valley runner) outside the supermarket on Saturday night and casually mentioned I wanted to run 8 miles in the morning (upping my miles again therefore wanting to forget about time and just enjoy it) and she invited me along to a run on Ilkley Moor with Mike Ayers (Founder of North Leeds Fell Runners).

It was Fab! It was a sunny, frosty morning, Sarah picked me up at 7am and we were on the fell side for 8am (ish). As soon as Mike heard I was a relatively new comer to the lesser known trods of Ilkley Moor he got very excited. We bagged 3 checkpoints, a forest, Swastica stones, a plane wreckage and a decomposed sheep.

After 2 1/2 hours I'd gone 10 miles! What an achievement! We walked bits and jogged bits and talked lots. I miss the fells...and maybe more importantly to Strava users...my watch!

Despite the running world not being able to analyse my times & distance, my stress levels and sense of self logged every vista, sun beam and aimless conversation. I'd had a short (but passionate!) cry the night before and really valued time back in my old life - on the hills, no buggy, no nappies...no worries. I even got bored after 2 hours and opted for a shorter route home.

PECO this weekend - bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment