Thursday 27 July 2017

Mini Mermaid Running Club

I am part of Mini Mermaid Running Club UK, it's a self development programme for primary aged girls to increase their self esteem and confidence through physical activity.We coach small groups of girls  to listen to their positive inner voice and recognise their negative inner voice using story telling and sport/child psychology principles. Each girl does the 6 week programme and trains for a 5K challenge, they can walk, run, hop. skip or jump their way round. This is me and one of our newest recruits, mainly skipping (with a broken arm!) at Roundhay parkrun



I had requested to support a girl who would mainly walk the course and was glad when my Mini was told by her mum she was only to walk as she'd recently broke her arm. I was totally in awe of her energy and resilience as she skipped and jogged the whole way round with very few grumbles. She'd really liked the programme and was talking about Siren (negative thoughts) and how she needed to "Go away" so Mini Mermaid (positive thoughts) could help her round the 5K.

I was aching the next day - my hip flexors felt over stretched and, although I was proud of doing the distance just a day after my maiden voyage, I was worried I'd done too much. I was more hungry & thirsty than I had been and my new born had survived without me (surprise, surprise!). I was also proud that my toddler ran to me saying "Mummy, did you have a good time running fast?". I'd left the house with her wanting to come with me and felt guilty for discouraging her from coming out to a running event (which I'd love her to get into).

No comments:

Post a Comment